Pool ionizer system reduces maintenance and chemicals › ClearBlue Ionizer manual and pool ionizer questions › Help › Installation › How do I convert my Baquacil or Softswim pool to a mineral pool?
- May 30, 2017 at 3:38 pm #4062
Converting your pool to a mineral ion system from Baquacil, SoftSwim or other biguanide system can be time-consuming. It is important that all steps are followed to ensure your transition to the ClearBlue mineral pool ionizer is easy.
1) Adjust the pH between 7.2 and 7.6.
2) Shock your pool with a pH buffered, potassium monopersulfate oxidizer.
3) Filter continuously for 48 hours. The water may become green at this point. This is normal.
4) After 48 hours of filtration, re-adjust the pH to between 7.2 and 7.6 and maintain this level throughout the remainder of the conversion process.
5) Backwash the filter or clean the cartridge.
6) Shock daily with chlorine, using 2 pounds per 10,000 gallons until the water is clear. It is preferable to shock in the evening to prevent dissipation of chlorine by sunlight.
7) Filter continuously during this process. Shocking may be needed for 2 weeks or longer to restore water clarity.
8) Vacuum pool to taste.
9) Change the filter media. This step is important because biguanide residue may remain.
10) Shock with 2 pounds of chlorine per 10,000 gallons of water. If any discoloration occurs on the pool surface or water becomes hazy or tinted, repeat steps 5 through 7.
11) RE-BALANCE pH IF NECESSARY AND OPERATE POOL ON CHLORINE FOR 2 WEEKS.
12) If the water is clear without discoloration after 2 weeks of chlorine operation, follow the steps below to perform a “bucket test”. If the water is cloudy or discolored, return to step 5.
To ensure biguanide residual is zero perform a “bucket test” following these steps in order:
1) Fill a clean, white, 5 gallon bucket half full with pool water.
2) Add 2 tablespoons of granular chlorine.
3) If the water turns muddy or green, there is still biguanide residue in the pool system.
4) Continue shocking daily with chlorine and repeat the “bucket test”.
5) Complete step 1-4 until the results of the bucket test is clear water.
After concluding all the steps in the biguanide conversion, operate pool on chlorine for
2 weeks before turning on the ClearBlue Ionizer.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.